My grandfather was born in Finland and came to Canada with his family when he was 2. Eventually he married an English-Canadian girl who learned to make this from his stepmother. I have no idea how close it is to the authentic dish but it is a Markanen family tradition for Christmas dinner.
1. Place turnip in a large pot with enough water to cover.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook turnip until it's very soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain well and return to pot.
3. Mash well. (My mother uses her electric mixer to beat it but I think it's better if it's not super smooth.)
4. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, stirring and tasting after each addition. The turnip should taste a little bit too sweet.
5. Stir in the butter until melted and well mixed then add the beaten egg and mix well.
6. Add milk gradually while stirring. Mixture should be relatively sloppy, so add more if necessary.
7. Spoon turnip into a shallow casserole.
8. Melt butter and stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of the turnip.
9. Bake in a 350(F) degree oven for about 45 minutes, until crumb topping starts to brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
I usually make this the day before and reheat it for 20 or 30 minutes just before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (30g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 61 (67%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.8g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 42.5mg||13 %|
|Sodium 86.7mg||3 %|
|Potassium 33.9mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5.9g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 5.7g|
|Protein 1.8g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 91
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.