Bacon is one of life's great pleasures. Crispy, salty, and hot, it complements eggs and hash browns, sandwiches and desserts. But anyone who's been served a lump of greasy, soggy bacon knows how important it is to cook it to perfection.
Niman Ranch is a brand that stands up to Kummer’s scrutiny not only because of its stellar flavor, but for the company’s committment to buy pork from small farmers who don’t use antibiotics, who limit the amount of pig waste they put out in the fields and adhere to humane treatment that includes pastures and straw-bedded pens. Fortunately, Niman Ranch pork is readily available at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
1. Put your oven rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Lay the bacon strips out flat on the baking sheet, leaving space so they don't overlap.
3. Pop the bacon in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. If it's thick bacon that produces a lot of grease you'll want to drain the grease halfway through.
4. When the larger grease bubbles subside and smaller bubbles appear on the bacon, you know it's done. If the bacon is already firm in the oven then it's cooked too long. Bacon firms up as it cools, generally.
Additional Notes: Depending on how crispy you like your bacon, you can pull it out early or leave it in for a bit longer, but a couple of minutes makes a big difference. Remember to save your bacon fat for future uses!
Here are some recipes that call for cooked bacon:
• Candied Bacon Fudge
• Easy Winter Recipe: Roasted Cabbage with Bacon
• Recipe: Herbed Lentils with Bacon
• Unconventional BLT's!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (113g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 460 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 51.1g||68 %|
|Saturated Fat 17g||85 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 22.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.7g|
|Cholesterol 77.1mg||24 %|
|Sodium 944.6mg||33 %|
|Potassium 235.9mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.7g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.7g|
|Protein 13.2g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 519
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.