1. To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, flour and soy crumbles, breaking up with wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. (If seasoning is too mild for you, add 1/2 tsp. or so each of chili powder and cumin.)
2. Transfer mixture to greased 1 1/2-qt. baking dish. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. To make Cornbread Topping: Combine cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl, and mix well; set aside. Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl until pale; whisk in buttermilk and oil. Set aside. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form.
4. Make well in dry ingredients, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined. Add green onions and jalape?o. Fold in egg whites. Pour over vegetable mixture.
5. Bake until topping is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Per SERVING: Calories: 504, Protein: 22g, Total fat: 20g, Carbs: 62g, Cholesterol: 74mg, Sodium: 998mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 16g
Vegetarian Times, February 2006 p.70
Definitely a keeper! Takes a little time to assemble (about 30-45 minutes), and then has to bake for 45 minutes, but it's easy to make, and worth the effort. The original recipe called for Mexican seasoned soy crumbles, which our store didn't have, so we used Boca crumbles. If using Boca crumbles, you will need to add some Mexican seasonings. We used about a teaspoon each of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Makes 6 generous servings.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (374g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 181 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.1g||27 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.4g|
|Cholesterol 144mg||44 %|
|Sodium 287.3mg||10 %|
|Potassium 756.2mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 75.8g||22 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.9g||28 %|
|Sugars, other 68.9g|
|Protein 15g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 528
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.