These lentils, inspired by the Mexican notion of combining fruit with dried beans, is hearty yet totally refreshing as the pineapple chunks brighten every bite. Bananas and a tomato sauce enriched with raisins add an extra dimension. A squeeze of fresh lime juice over the lentils finishes the dish with a nice tingle.
1. Pick through the lentils, discarding any stones, and rinse well in a strainer. Place in a large heavy pot along with the broth, celery, carrot, and parsley sprigs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 20 minutes. Some liquid will remain in the pot.
2. While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the onion is wilted, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes with the reserved juice and the raisins to the onion. Simmer uncov ered, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in the pineapple and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the bananas and cook 2 minutes longer.
5. When the lentils are cooked, remove the celery, carrot, and parsley sprigs and drain. Return the lentils to the pot.
6. Add the tomato mixture and gently fold the ingredients together. Serve hot.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (620g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 352 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 39.1g||52 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.3g||116 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 12.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.4g|
|Cholesterol 146.2mg||45 %|
|Sodium 554.6mg||19 %|
|Potassium 1760.9mg||46 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 69.1g||20 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 67.1g|
|Protein 35.4g||51 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 755
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!