1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place the cake mix , melted butter, and 1 egg in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until well combined and thick. Measure out 2/3 c of the batter and reserve. Pat the remaining batter into the bottom of an ungreased 13- by 9- inch baking pan and place it in the oven.
3. Bake until the crust is light brown and puffs up, 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Leave the oven on.
4. Place the reserved crust mixture, corn syrup, dark brown sugar, remaining 3 eggs, and vanilla in the same large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the batter is well combined and the crust mixture has blended, 1 minute more, scraping the sides down again if needed. Fold in the pecans until they are well distributed. Pour the pecan mixture on top of the crust mixture, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Return the pan to the oven.
5. Bake the cake until the edges are browned but the center is still a little soft, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool on a rack for 30 minues. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
**Store this cake, covered in aluminum foil, at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze it, wrapped in foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight on the counter before serving.
Note: This recipe was provided by Sandie (Soula) Hahn, my sister-in-law.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (85g)|
|Recipe Makes: 20 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 157 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 17.4g||23 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.7g||23 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 97.3mg||30 %|
|Sodium 233.3mg||8 %|
|Potassium 101.6mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 29.7g|
|Protein 4.7g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 291
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.