1. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium-low heat.
2. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
3. Slowly add in 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, constantly whisking to combine.
4. After a few minutes, the flour will be well incorporated into the butter. Slowly begin to pour in drippings and/or chicken broth into the pan, constantly whisking.
5. Allow the gravy to cook for several minutes, so that it can thicken up. Serve immediately, or keep on very low heat until you’re ready to serve.
If you want it richer with more turkey taste, scrape up the bits left over in the cooking pan and put them in the 4 cups of turkey stock and pan drippings, whisking them all together with the butter/flour mixture. Instead of chicken stock or broth, I used turkey stock, made from boiling the parts removed from inside the turkey, minus the liver, for the same time as it takes to cook the turkey. I put the heart and gizzards in a food processor and added them to the gravy. Prep time for the recipe by it self is 5 min prep time and 10 min cook time. The way I did it, including making the turkey stock and processing the parts, the prep time was a few minutes longer and the cooking time was obviously much longer
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (29g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 166 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.5g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.7g||58 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 48.8mg||15 %|
|Sodium 131mg||5 %|
|Potassium 12.8mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.8g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 4.6g|
|Protein 0.8g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 186
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!