1) Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover by 1". Add a generous pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender. Potatoes cook quickly. Test often for tenderness and don't overcook them. Drain the potatoes and arrange them in a 9x9 casserole dish.
2) In a large skillet, add a little oil to coat the pan. Combine the beef and onion and cook together over medium heat until the beef is browned and the onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat.
3) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and the flour turns light brown in color. Gradually whisk in the milk and continue to stir while cooking over medium heat. When the mixture thickens, season with salt and pepper, then stir in the cheese and browned beef and onions.
5) Pour the ground beef mixture over the potatoes and bake the casserole for 20 minutes, until heated through and bubbling. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the casserole and bake until the crumbs are toasted, about 5 minutes longer.
The reviews that I read said that you should change the recipe to less potatoes and more meat.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (457g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 336 (50%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37.3g||50 %|
|Saturated Fat 20.2g||101 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 12.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 125.9mg||39 %|
|Sodium 458.1mg||16 %|
|Potassium 1437.9mg||38 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 50.8g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 46.5g|
|Protein 32.7g||47 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 666
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.