A-1) Heat oven to 400
2) Spray inside surfaces of 8 inch x 8 cup souffle dish or other 8 inch by 4 inch or higher bake able pot/casserole, then "flour" with the grated parmesan or other finely grated cheese. (This will give souffle traction to rise.) If needed, sides can be extended by wrapping either bakers parchment or aluminum foil around pan to increase height. If using foil, treat as the pan sides. Souffle will double in volume!
B-1) In saucepan, melt butter, add the diced onion, and cook until translucent.
2) Gradually stir in flour.
3) Allow butter-flour mixture to cook for a few minutes.
4) Add the chopped spinach, no need to drain, as water will be part of the liquid additions.
5) Slowly stir in milk and cook until thickened.
6) Reduce heat and stir in grated cheddar cheese.
7) When cheese is melted. Turn off heat and allow to start cooling
8) Add egg yolks one at a time stirring to keep thick, add salt, and pepper to taste. When all yolks are added, start whipping the egg whites, this will allow for more cooling time.
C-1) Add the baking soda to the egg whites and whip until stiff, they should form and hold peaks.
2) Slowly fold stiff egg whites into cheese mixture.
3) Pour mixture into prepared souffle pan.
D) Place on middle rack of oven and turn oven down to 350
1) Bake 30-40 minutes. DO NOT OPEN OVEN for first 25 minutes! 2) Souffle will hold in oven for about 5 minutes, but ideally should be served immediately.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (122g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 129 (65%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.3g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.5g||37 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 238.5mg||73 %|
|Sodium 2127.9mg||73 %|
|Potassium 148mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 6.4g|
|Protein 10.3g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Calories per serving: 197