1) Prepare the tomatoes by washing, coring, and quartering. Chop in food processor and then set in strainer and let excess juices drain off. Add drained tomatoes to large stock pot.
2) Prepare the peppers, onions, garlic and cilantro by rinsing, removing peels, stems and/or pith. Roughly chop by hand and then finely chop in the food processor. Adding the cilantro with the onions in the food processor helps to get a finer chop on it.
3) Add peppers, onions, garlic and cilantro to stock pot. Add Vinegar. Stir in spices and salt.
4) Bring your salsa to a gentle boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
5) While salsa is simmering, place lids and jars in another pot and pour boiling water over them to sterilize.
6) Get your canner out and fill it about 2/3 full of warm water. Put it on the stove and turn on the heat, on low, to get the water started heating up. Wait for your salsa to finish cooking.
7) Set the sterilized jars and lids on the counter, and using a ladle, fill each jar, leaving at least 1/2" empty space at the top of the jar. Using a wet towel, carefully wipe off the lip of each jar, then add the lid and seal tightly with the ring.
8) Place the jars in your canner, leaving a little free space around each jar. If needed, add a little more water to the canner so that the jars are all covered by at least 1-2" of water.
9) Turn the burner to high and bring the water to a boil. Boil steadily for 15-25 minutes.
10) Remove the jars carefully from the water with tongs and place on a folded towel on your countertop to cool.
11) Monitor jars for the next 12-24 hours. The lids will make a popping sound when they seal. After 24 hours, check the jar lids by pressing in the center to make sure they are immovable. Remove the bands and store them for reuse. Salsa is optimum if consumed within 6 months and may be stored for up to 18 months.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (292g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 6 (7%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.7g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 14.7mg||1 %|
|Potassium 623.7mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 18.1g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.4g||18 %|
|Sugars, other 13.7g|
|Protein 3.1g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 81
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.