You can of course just buy puff pastry at the store, but when you are feeling on top of the kichen (or you want to make edits for low carbs & diabetic friendly dishes) I thought I would share this. To be honest, I think I am going to stop buying pastries, pie crusts, bread, etc - my old gas stove just makes it too much fun and saves enough money to buy other important things - like salmon!"Well two small notes to add to this recipe! 1. When it says gradually add the flours - the recipe means gradually! Especially with an electric mixture. You are NOT saving any time by adding like a cup at a time. Trust me on this one! 2. When the recipe calls for you to keep the dough covered - keep the dough covered. Act like you are protecting a special treasure of some sort. I happened to have help in the kitchen as I was preparing the empanadas, so I was rolling them out as they were being filled " - cleverkt
Yield: 2 Ready in 45 minutes
170 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
Empanada Dough Preparation
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the yeast, sugar, and half the milk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. Beat in the remaining milk, egg, egg yolk, sour cream & butter.
2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal & salt. With an electric mixer set on low, gradually beat the flour mixture into the egg and milk mixture until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Form the dough into a ball. Transfer to an oiled bowl, and turn to coat with the oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hours. Punch down.
4. Preheat oven to 450F / 230C / Gas Mark 8.
5. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and shape into balls. Keep dough covered with a damp cloth.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 4" (10cm) round. Use a cookie cutter to trim the edges.
7. Place filling on bottom 2/3 of round & fold rounds in half, enclosing the filling. Seal the edges of the dough and crimp decoratively.
8. Transfer the empanadas with a spatula to a lightly oiled backing sheet and bake them in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool before serving.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?