Dutch babies are our favorite way to pancake. One skillet feeds four people at once -- and it comes together in about 10 minutes. This recipe conjures autumnal flavors with thinly sliced apple and hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. This impressive popover is guaranteed to delight with minimal effort and clean up.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Place 3 tablespoons melted butter and thinly sliced apples into a 10 or 12-inch cast iron skillet. Toss apples to coat and place the skillet in the oven until butter starts to brown, about 6-8 minutes.
3. While butter browns and apples bake, whisk eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter in a medium bowl until smooth.
4. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter on top of the apples. Return to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the Dutch baby puffs and turns golden brown. You want the center to be just set but still custardy. Monitor your Dutch baby at all times from a closed oven -- opening will deflate your baby.
5. While the Dutch baby bakes, (although optional), we recommend a super simple cinnamon-maple butter to top. In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup unsalted butter, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon over medium-low heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract.
6. Remove skillet from the oven and drizzle your Dutch baby with warm maple syrup or our cinnamon-maple butter in the step above. We also heartily recommend additional fresh fruit, nuts, or whipped cream. Feel free to make it your own!
If needed, we recommend an immersion or stick blender to whizz through any stubborn lumps in the batter.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (128g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 245 (76%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.2g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2g|
|Cholesterol 468.8mg||144 %|
|Sodium 144.3mg||5 %|
|Potassium 148.3mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.5g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 7.5g|
|Protein 12.8g||18 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 322
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.