1. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon on low heat until crispy. (If using olive oil rather than bacon, heat oil in the Dutch oven or large saucepan.)
2. Add onion and garlic and cook gently until fragrant and wilted.
3. Add sweet potato, squash, and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Remove bacon, if using, and discard.
4. Puree soup and return to heat. Add more stock or water if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve soup in bowls. If desired, cut a small handful of chives into long pieces and scatter over soup to garnish.
NOTES : Alternative garnishes could include yogurt cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips or pita chips, a small amount of grated cheese, fresh herbs, roasted garlic cloves, or croutons. The soup instructions include the strip of bacon, but I use the suggested alternative of 2 tsp./10 ml olive oil, so have entered the recipe accordingly. According to Stern, the bacon gives the soup a "wonderful smokey flavour." The recipe in the book also includes a wild mushroom saute, which would serve to garnish the soup. I've omitted this since I don't eat mushrooms. Inspired by Bonnie Stearn, More Heart Smart Cooking. Recipe entered by Ellen in Toronto.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (532g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 43 (19%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.8g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.2g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.9g|
|Cholesterol 10.8mg||3 %|
|Sodium 979.6mg||34 %|
|Potassium 947.3mg||25 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.3g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||15 %|
|Sugars, other 32.5g|
|Protein 11.1g||16 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 227
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.