Try this Carolina Green Beans, Potatoes And Bacon recipe, or contribute your own.Suggest a better description
1. Stack the slices of bacon on top of each other, and cut the slices in half lengthwise. Chop the bacon into small pieces crosswise. Separate the bacon into small pieces.
2. Put the green beans in a colander and rinse them under cold water, shaking the colander so they are well washed.
3. Trim the ends off the beans and discard, then cut the beans into 1-inch pieces.
4. Trim the root end off the scallions, and trim off some of the coarser, green top, usually about 2 or 3 inches. Chop the remaining white and green part into tiny slices.
5. Peel the potatoes and cut them down the center lengthwise. Place the halves flat side down on a cutting board, and slice the halves in half again lengthwise. Cut the 4 pieces crosswise into 1-inch squares.
6. Set a heavy-bottomed pot or pan with a lid over medium-high heat. When you place your hand about 1 inch from the bottom of the pan and it feels hot, add the bacon.
7. Using a fork, push and move the bacon around the pot, then separate the little chunks of bacon that are stuck together. Stand right by the stove, stirring and moving the pieces until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
8. Add the green beans and the water, and stir to mix everything together. Put the lid on the pot and turn the heat to low.
9. After 10 minutes, add the scallions and the potatoes. Sprinkle the salt and pepper all over. Leave the heat on low and put the lid on again. Cook for 30 more minutes. Check once after cooking for 15 minutes to make sure that water hasn't all evaporated. If so, add another 1/2 cup of water, cover, and cook the remaining 15 minutes.
10. Serve hot.
Posted to The Gourmet Connection Recipe Page Newsletter by email@example.com on May 16, 1999, converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (290g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2 (2%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.2g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 15.7mg||1 %|
|Potassium 713.2mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.2g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||22 %|
|Sugars, other 22.6g|
|Protein 4.6g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 123
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.