1. Cut the leg and thigh meat and the fatback into 1/2 inch dice. Reserve.
2. Prepare the garnish: Melt the butter in the saute pan. Lightly and quickly sear the smoked foie gras; remove and chill quickly on a plastic-wrap lined sheetpan. In the same pan, brown the duck breast and ham; remove, chill, and add to the foie gras sheetpan.
3. Sweat the shallots and garlic. Add the port wine and reduce to a thick syrup; chill well. Combine with the duck leg meat and fatback; marinate 2 hours under refrigeration.
4. Combine the leg meat mixture with the flour, tinted curing mix (TCM), and salt. Toss to coat evenly and grind through the fine plate (1/8 inch) of a meat grinder.
5. Transfer the ground meats to a chilled mixing bowl. Add the egg and heavy cream. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute, until homogeneous. Add the pepper and poultry seasoning; mix to incorporate. Test the forcemeat and adjust seasoning if necessary before proceeding.
6. Fold the garnish mixture into the forcemeat by hand over an ice bath.
7. Line a terrine mold with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang. Pack the forcemeat into the mold and fold over the liner. Cover the terrine and poach in a 170 degree water bath in a 300 degree oven to an internal temperature of 165, 60 to 75 minutes.
8. Remove the terrine from the water bath and all it to cool to an internal temperature of 90 degrees. Pour off the juices from the terrine and let it rest under refrigeration overnight. The terrine is now ready to slice and serve, or wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
To prepare smoked foie gras, soak and clean the liver. Cold smoke at 80 degrees for about 20 minutes. The intention is simply to give a little smoke flavor to the foie gras; it should not be cooked through.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (153g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16|
|Calories from Fat: 391 (83%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 43.5g||58 %|
|Saturated Fat 19g||95 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 17.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.3g|
|Cholesterol 119.8mg||37 %|
|Sodium 141.8mg||5 %|
|Potassium 321.5mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.4g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 5.9g|
|Protein 13g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 472
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.