1. Stem the beets and roast them. Take the greens and wash them in two changes of water.
2. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, add salt to taste and the greens. Blanch for two minutes, and transfer to the ice water. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then drain and squeeze excess water. Chop coarsely and set aside.
3. Bring the water back to a boil, and add the faro. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring from time to time, or until the farro is tender. Remove from the heat and allow the grains to swell in the cooking water for 10 minutes, then drain.
4. While the farro is cooking, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together the vinegars, salt, garlic and mustard. Whisk in the oil. Add to the faro. Peel and dice the beets and add, along with the beet greens, feta or goat cheese, herbs and walnuts. Toss together, and serve warm or room temperature with a little more cheese sprinkled over the top if you wish.
*Advance prep: The roasted beets and cooked beet greens will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator, and the cooked farro for five days. You can assemble this salad hours or even a day ahead; it will redden with time.
* Salad will be pinkish! And make sure to not undercook farro to avoid chewiness.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (55g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 188 (70%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.9g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||19 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.2g|
|Cholesterol 5.6mg||2 %|
|Sodium 46.3mg||2 %|
|Potassium 132.5mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.7g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 13.9g|
|Protein 5.9g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 269
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!