1. Place broth and all seasonings except BBQ sauce in crock pot.
2. Stir and mix well.
3. Put in pork.
4. If frozen pork add 2 hours. Best to do 6 on low to start for frozen or 4 hours on low.
5. Halfway through cut the pork into 1" thick chunks. Think pork chop. Stir meat well in juice .
6. At the end of the time switch to hot or 1 hour. After which the pork should be in boiling liquid. It will start to separate when pushed down by a fork or spoon. Some spots will seem tougher but that's ok.
7. Take each piece out and using two forks shred. It is tedious but easy. Put all the shredded pork back in.
8. Add the BBQ sauce. The liquid will change from light to a deeper red. Cook for 30 minutes to an hour on low.
9. After the hour the meat will taste great but be very wet. Use a sieve and push into the meat so liquid is in the strainer but meat does not come over the edges. Use a ladle and scoop out clear liquid which is mostly fatty oil. I dispose of mine. Yup may have to do this in a few spots.
10. Turn to keep warm if not ready to eat.
11. When ready to place on buns use the sieve, scoop some meat and stir some liquid out into the crock pot. This will keep your bun from getting mushy.
12. You can either stir more BBQ sauce into the meat, no extra sauce, or spread it on the bun.
13. I put meat on either half of the bun, sprinkle on cheese, and broil until melted then combine the halves,
14. Leftovers, save with juice, strain after microwaving.
*****i add jalapeños to mine before broiling. If you like hotter things. We make our buns too.
*********I've played with many kinds of BBQ sauce. Try to mix it up with pineapple, mango, unique sauces. Also Hawaiian smoked salts add a great kick.
Favorite Bun Recipe:
Play with it. You can always add more time. But keep the juice and deal with straining to have a juicy pork.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (368g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 446 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 49.5g||66 %|
|Saturated Fat 19.6g||98 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.4g|
|Cholesterol 130.7mg||40 %|
|Sodium 3513.3mg||121 %|
|Potassium 647.9mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 46.6g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 44.7g|
|Protein 49.8g||71 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 845
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.