1. In a ball of a stand mixer, combine the water, sugar and kosher salt. Sprinkle the yeast on top in allowed to sit for five minutes or until begins to foam.
2. Secure the hook attachment to the stand mixer, then add the flour and butter to the bowl and mix on low to the ingredients are combined.
3. Increased the speed to medium in knead until the dough is smooth and pulled away from the side of the bowl, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl. Clean the bowl and then grease it with vegetable oil.
5. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place for one hour, or until the dough is doubled in size. (Watch my video for how to proof bread in the dryer).
6. Preheat the oven to 450°F and position the oven racks in the middle two positions in your oven.
7. Line two sheet trays with lightly oil parchment paper.
8. Stir together the 10 cups of water and the baking soda in it 8 quart pot. Bring the mixture to a Rolling boil.
9. While the water comes to a boil, turn the dough onto your work surface and divided into 12 equal pieces (do not flower your work surface because your dough won't have enough traction against the service. Using the palm of your hands, apply even pressure as you roll to form the Center out to form the dough into ropes.)
10. Applying even pressure, roll out each piece of dough into a 18 to 20 inch rope. Fold each rope in half, twisting the two pieces around one another in pressing and pressing the ends together. Twist the bottom and around the top, feeding it through the top hole and pressing it secure. Return the twists to the cookie sheets.
11. One by one, carefully placed each twist into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove each twist from the water using a large slotted spoon or spatula. And return it to the cookie sheet. Brush the tops of the twists with the egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt (optional).
12. Big the twists until golden brown in colour 12 to 14 minutes, rotating the pans (between racks and turning to rotate pants) halfway through, then remove the twists from the oven and allow them to cool for five minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (887g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 4464 (98%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 496g||661 %|
|Saturated Fat 313.6g||1568 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 128.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 18.9g|
|Cholesterol 1329.1mg||409 %|
|Sodium 3990.5mg||138 %|
|Potassium 209.6mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.2g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 34.8g|
|Protein 10.4g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 4553
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!