Try our very own original BigOven take on the classic Swedish Meatballs served in IKEA cafeterias across the globe. Made with three types of meat covered in a creamy lingonberry sauce, you get to enjoy this classic Swedish dish without going through the labyrinth that is IKEA to find it. These spherical delights make the perfect topping for buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Our video will walk you through the process -- no reservation required.
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
1. Combine the breadcrumbs and heavy cream in a small bowl, stirring with a fork until all the crumbs are moistened. Set aside.
2. In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add butter and sweat the shallots for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or so, just until fragrant. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, combine the meats, onion/garlic mixture, honey, thyme, egg, salt and pepper, Worcestershire, and reserved breadcrumb/cream mixture. Mix well, but take care not to overwork the mixture.
4. With wet hands, shape the mixture into ping pong-sized meatballs.
5. Over medium-high heat, melt butter back in the previous cast iron skillet and, working in batches and being careful not to overcrowd, brown the meatballs on all sides and just cooked through. Transfer each batch of meatballs to a tray and drain off the fat from the skillet -- leaving just enough to coat the skillet.
6. Over medium heat, whisk in butter, stock, cream, lingonberries, and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer until slightly thickened. Return the meatballs to the skillet and simmer until the meatballs are glazed and thoroughly cooked, about five minutes.
7. Serve hot over buttered egg noodles (or mashed potatoes). Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with additional lingonberry preserves.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (433g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 445 (63%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 49.4g||66 %|
|Saturated Fat 22.2g||111 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.5g|
|Cholesterol 212.2mg||65 %|
|Sodium 1449.3mg||50 %|
|Potassium 790mg||21 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 34.6g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 32.6g|
|Protein 31.2g||45 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 708
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.