1. In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
2. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
6. Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Cooks' notes: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown. To make bacon easier to chop, lightly freeze.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (749g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 595 (59%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 66.1g||88 %|
|Saturated Fat 30.4g||152 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 24.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.5g|
|Cholesterol 165.8mg||51 %|
|Sodium 933.9mg||32 %|
|Potassium 2145.8mg||56 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 82.9g||24 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||26 %|
|Sugars, other 76.4g|
|Protein 23.3g||33 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1008
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.