* Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
1. Heat large sauté pan with canola oil, then add white and red onions.
2. As the onions start to caramelize (turn brown), turn the heat down to medium and add the sugar.
3. After 5 minutes add the leeks, then continue to cook for 10-15 minutes.
4. TIP – if your pan is dry you can add a little water, do not add more oil.
5. You are done cooking the onions when they are a dark rich caramel color.
6. Take the pan off the fire and add the brandy to deglaze the pan.
7. Return to medium-high heat until the brandy is reduced by half.
8. Transfer all ingredients to a 2-quart stock pot.
9. Add water, bay leave, reduced vegetable stock, and sachet of black pepper corns.
10. Bring to boil for a minute, then reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes.
11. Skim excess oil with ladle.
12. Season with salt as necessary.
13. Place slices of baguette on baking sheet, top with Gruyere cheese and bake until the cheese melts.
TIME TO EAT:
1. Ladle hot soup into personal size soup bowls.
2. Place baguette-Gruyere crouton on top of soup.
3. Garnish with grated Gruyere and fresh parsley.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (4524g)|
|Recipe Makes: Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 695 (25%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 77.3g||103 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.2g||61 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 40.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 20.9g|
|Cholesterol 55.1mg||17 %|
|Sodium 9253.9mg||319 %|
|Potassium 2695.8mg||71 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 444.1g||131 %|
|Dietary Fiber 29g||116 %|
|Sugars, other 415.2g|
|Protein 82.9g||118 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2811
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!