Blanching and Preparing Spinach Puree:
1. Rinse the spinach leaves well in water and then keep them in a colander so that the excess water drains off. Discard all fibrous stems.
2. Boil water in pan. Add spinach.
3. Stir and blanch for 3 minutes.
4. While spinach is blanching, prepare ice bath. Add about 10 ice cubes to a large bowl of cold water.
5. After 3 minutes, remove spinach and put in bath.
6. Stir gently and remove after 1 minute.
7. Put in blender or grinder and grind to smooth puree. No need to add water.
Pan Frying Paneer Cubes:
1. This is optional, but lightly golden pan fried paneer cubes taste good in palak paneer. Heat oil in well seasoned or nonstick pan.
2. Add paneer and fry until sides are slightly golden.
3. Drain on kitchen paper towels.
4. Optional - To soften the paneer more, immediately immerse in water for 3-4 minutes.
Making Palak Paneer Gravy or Sauce:
1. In same oil, add cumin seeds and bay leaf (tej patta). Saute until cumin seeds crackle.
2. Add finely chopped onions. Stir well.
3. Fry until onions are golden.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and finely chopped green chillies. You can also substitute chili powder.
5. Saute until the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
6. Ad the spice powders - a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2t black pepper, crushed with mortar-pestle, and 1t CRUSHED dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
7. Stir well, then add the spinach puree.
8. Season with salt, then add a pinch of sugar. Stir well and, on a medium flame, simmer the gravy for 5-6 minutes or until it thickens slightly and the spinach is cooked well.
9. Add cream along with 1/2t garam masala and stir very well.
10. When cream is mixed in well, switch off flame and add paneer.
11. Mix well. Cover until serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (925g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 823 (64%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 91.4g||122 %|
|Saturated Fat 36.1g||181 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 26.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 23.8g|
|Cholesterol 194.9mg||60 %|
|Sodium 721.3mg||25 %|
|Potassium 2051.9mg||54 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 71.9g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 71.6g|
|Protein 46g||66 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1277
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!