This is great on pasta, pizza, hamburgers, tomatoes, sandwiches, potatoes, chicken and it freezes very well. Every summer I grow Lemon Basil. This basil has a lemon smell and flavour to it. I always use this to make a lemon basil pesto, that is amazing in fish dishes! My favourite dish is Salmon en Croute using lemon basil pesto, check it out!
1) use a pestle and mortar and not a food processor.
2) toast the pinenuts to get a creaminess rather than a nuttier flavour.
3) once made, put in a jar and cover the pesto with olive oil, this will stop the pesto from oxidizing and turning a dark colour.
4) make lots and freeze it! Again put in a mason jar top with olive oil and freeze. Now all winter I have the taste of my summer garden!
5) do not use the stems of the basil, as it will turn your pesto very bitter tasting. 6) you can add sun dried tomatoes or use arugula instead of basil .
Put some of your garlic, sea salt and basil leaves into the mortar and use the pestle to pound the mixture. Now add the pine nuts and continue pounding. Place this mixture into a separate bowl and add the Parmesan cheese and Lemmon juice. Add enough olive oil to get the consistency you desire. I normally add less, as I top my mason jars with the olive oil so that oil gets mixed in.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (115g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1007 (100%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 113.8g||152 %|
|Saturated Fat 15.7g||79 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 83g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 12g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 41.1mg||1 %|
|Potassium 3.7mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.2g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.2g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1007
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!