1. Put the pork hock in a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and discard the water. (This removes any excessive saltiness.)
3. Put all the ingredients in the stock pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. For the first 20 minutes skim off any foam that surfaces, ever so often. Cover and simmer for 1-3 hours.
4. Remove the pork and set aside, discard the vegetables. A spider works well for this.
5. Pour the stock through a fine mesh strainer into a storage container.
To remove any fat solids on the pork, clean it off the bone, then cut off any fat and cartilage. Throw the pork into a hot pan, that has been wiped down with grease/oil. Cast iron works well. Fry for about 5 mins or til starting to caramelize.
Might be worth while seeing if roasting the veggies in the oven first makes a difference.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (418g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2 (12%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.2g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 239.7mg||8 %|
|Potassium 124.2mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.6g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 2.4g|
|Protein 0.5g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 17
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!