1. Brown ground beef in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions, poblanos, jalepenos and green peppers and saute until vegetables are soft.
2. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium, and saute 2 minutes until tender.
3. Add 6 tablespoons chili powder and 1 tablespoon cumin, stirring to coat meat evenly.
4. Add tomato paste and 1 quart o beef stock. Add beans and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
5. Stir 1 tablespoon masa at a time into meat mixture; allowing chili to thicken between additions to desired consistency.
6. Cook, uncovered, 20 more minutes. Stir in chipotle pepper, and, if desired, paprika. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder 5 minutes before serving.
I prefer Sauer's brand chili powder blend and Pacific Organic Beef Broth.
This basic recipe also translates well into a vegetarian chili by substituting frozen meatless burger crumbles for ground beef, vegetable broth for beef broth. Add 1 15-ounce can of yellow corn drained when you add the beans.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (455g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 227 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 25.2g||34 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.3g||46 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.8g|
|Cholesterol 101.5mg||31 %|
|Sodium 723.2mg||25 %|
|Potassium 1309.2mg||34 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.8g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8.4g||34 %|
|Sugars, other 20.4g|
|Protein 37.7g||54 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 485
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.