This recipe lends itself well to making a double batch (two pies), especially if you use 15oz cans of pumpkin and mashed sweet potatoes. The secret to vivid spiced flavor is to get whole cloves, nutmeg, and allspice and grind them fresh for the pie. Soaking the spices in alcohol also helps to bring out the flavors.
1) Ahead of time, grind and mix all spices and mix with the Irish whiskey (or cognac, vodka, calvados, cinnamon schnapps, etc.). Let sit for at least one hour, shaking/stirring occasionally.
2) Preheat the oven to 300°F
3) Mix/beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth
4) Add the evaporated milk and mix until smooth
5) Add the salt to the whisky/spice mixture and combine well
6) Stir the whiskey spice mixture well and then combine with the cream cheese mixture (make sure to get all of the bits out of the bottom of the container).
7) Add the pumpkin and sweet potatoes to the cream cheese mixture and combine well.
8) Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until just combined.
9) Quickly beat in flour, just until dissolved. Set filling aside, covered.
10) Do not chop pecans until after toasting. Put pecans on tray in a single layer and put in the oven. Stir every 5 minutes and remove when fragrant (about 15 minutes).
11) In a food processor, combine the toasted pecans with about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Pulse a few times until the nuts are coarsely ground.
12) In a large bowl, whisk nuts into graham cracker crumbs, remaining brown sugar, spices, and salt.
13) Pour melted butter over crumb mixture and mix with fingers until the butter is evenly distributed (the mixture will still be crumbly).
14) Press evenly into a 10-inch pie plate (glass preferably). Tamp down with smooth bottom glass.
15) Add pie filling to crust and place pie plate on a baking sheet.
16) Bake for one hour. Pull out when jiggling the pie only shakes the middle 2” diameter. Let cool before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (149g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 179 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.9g||27 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.1g||36 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.1g|
|Cholesterol 79.6mg||24 %|
|Sodium 233.6mg||8 %|
|Potassium 283.1mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 53g||16 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.6g||19 %|
|Sugars, other 48.4g|
|Protein 5.5g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 407
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.