Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens
A hardy and filling soup thats high in flavor and diabetic friendly"This soup turned out so good! Savory, filling, and delicious - it was just what I was craving. I ended up using regular canned diced tomatoes instead of stewed. . I didn't want them pre-flavored, which is how stewed tomatoes are prepared. I also had to add another cup to 2 cups of water as the soup gets very thick. Some people like that - I happen to like a good balance of broth, veg, and meat. Sprinkled some pecorino on today's lunch portion. Out of this world yummy!" - dinerb
Yield: 10 Ready in 1 hours
favorite of 863 people 685 people want to try
Verified by stevemur
|1 poundItalian-style sausage; - I used turkey sausage|
|1 tablespoonolive oil|
|1 mediumOnion; - chopped|
|1 cloveGarlic; - minced|
|1 largeCarrot; - finely chopped|
|1 cupLentils; - Brown lentils|
|15 ounceschicken broth; - one can|
|15 ouncesstewed tomatoes|
|1/2 teaspoonThyme; - crushed, dried|
|2 teaspoonsRosemary; - finely minced fresh|
|2 cupsRed potato; - one large, 1/2 inch cubes|
|4 cupsKale or collards; - rough chopped|
|1 pinchkosher salt; - to taste|
|1 pinchRed pepper; - to taste|
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens Preparation
1. Put the sausages in a soup pan with the olive oil; brown on all sides over medium heat. Cover the pan and cook, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Pierce the sausages and let them drain a bit in the pan, then remove and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin slices.
2. Put the onion, garlic and carrot into the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the lentils, broth, water, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and continue cooking the soup, covered, at least 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Stir in the sausage. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add 3 cups of greens and cook and additional 5 minutes.
5. Adjust seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
Serve garnished with a garnish of greens on top.
I made sourdough garlic bread with this and it was delicious.
Adapted from recipe by CeCe Sullivan of The Seattle Times.
Each (1 1/2 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 213, FatCals: 54, TotFat: 5g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 2g
Chol: 24mg, Na: 627mg, K: 690mg
TotCarbs: 26g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 4g
NetCarbs: 17g, Protein: 15g
Analysis does not include the garlic bread
This was particularly good with garlic bread.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven