Tips from Alton Brown's fantastic show. Brining the bird is the key to moist meat. Made this again this year, only brined in just water instead of stock to save some dough. Again, the bird turned out perfectly. Growing up, I hated white meat because it was always dry and grinding on your teeth , now I love white meat. Cook time includes the brining time.
1. Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
2. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
3. Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5 gallon bucket.
4. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours.
5. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.
6. A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500 degrees.
7. Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
8. Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water.
9. Discard brine.
10. Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels.
11. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage.
12. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil.
13. Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500F for 30 minutes.
14. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350 degrees F.
15. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F.
16. A 14-16 pound bird should require a total of 2-2 1/2 hours of roasting.
17. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1309g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 241 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 26.8g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.6g||33 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.8g|
|Cholesterol 393.1mg||121 %|
|Sodium 5283.4mg||182 %|
|Potassium 1846.9mg||49 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 12.6g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 11.6g|
|Protein 131.9g||188 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 851
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.