This flavorful stew is great served over quinoa, couscous , or brown rice. It also serves as a great side dish, or even a meal on its own. If you enjoy a little spice in your dishes try doubling the cayenne or adding some hot peppers.
1. Heat water in a soup pot over medium heat; add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes; add bell peppers, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 more minutes.
2. Stir in brown sugar, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
3. Stir in peanut butter, and distribute it evenly throughout. Hint: You may want to thin out the peanut butter first by mixing it with some water in a small bowl before adding it to the pot (it will make it easier to incorporate into the stew).
4. Add sweet potatoes, kidney beans, and tomatoes, and stir to coat.
5. Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
6. Serve in individual bowls and top with chopped nuts and cilantro, if desired.
Natural peanut butter will mix into your stew much better than thicker kinds.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1135g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 86 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.6g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.3g||7 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 13216.4mg||456 %|
|Potassium 769.6mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 43.1g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.6g||22 %|
|Sugars, other 37.5g|
|Protein 15.3g||22 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 306
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.