1. First, it is important to remove excess water from the tofu in order to firm it up. Place the tofu on a cutting board, then place another cutting board on top to create a makeshift "press". Place a heavy object on top and wait about 15 minutes. Place paper towels around the tofu to catch the water as it is squeezed out of the tofu.
2. In the meantime, place the hon dashi soup stock, soy sauce, and mirin in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
3. Add the katakuriko/water mixture to the sauce and stir quickly. Turn off the heat.
4. Once the water has been sufficiently squeezed out, dry off the tofu with paper towels and cut each block into four quarters.
5. Dust the tofu with katakuriko.
6. Heat oil in 350°F in a deep pot or fryer.
7. Deep fry the tofu until they turn lightly brown, around 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
8. Place each piece of fried tofu in a small dish and pour the sauce over it.
9. Garnish with grated ginger and green onions.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (84g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 42 (64%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.7g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.4g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 5.8mg||0 %|
|Potassium 343.1mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.5g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 3.2g|
|Protein 1.8g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 66
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.