Try this Apple Pie recipe, or contribute your own.Suggest a better description
NOTE: Pie can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool; store covered with foil at room temperature.
1) Toss apples with brown sugar, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom in a large bowl to coat. Let apples sit until they start to release their juices, (1-3 hours).
2) Add apple cider and vanilla extract to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally, until reduced by two-thirds.
3) Pour off juices that have accumulated in bowl of apples and add to apple cider. Return to a boil and cook until reduced to about ½ cup
4) Stir cornstarch into 3 tbsp water in a small bowl to dissolve and then whisk into apple cider. Cook, whisking constantly, until cider mixture is very thick and bubbling, about 1 minute.
5) Let cool slightly and then scrape over apples; toss to coat.
6) Transfer dough round to pie dish. Lift up edges and allow dough to slump down into dish (if too cold to be pliable, let it warm up slightly first). Press dough firmly against sides and bottom of plate. Trim, leaving about 1" overhang. Beat egg with 1 tsp. water in a small bowl and brush over edges of dough.
7) Add apple filling to pie dish, one-by-one, not leaving minimal empty space. Make the filling mound a little bit higher than the pie dish and dot the filling with butter.
8) Place remaining dough round over filling. Trim edges of top round, leaving a ½" overhang. Fold edge of bottom round up and over; press together to seal. Crimp edge and brush top with remaining egg wash. Place pie on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and chill in freezer 10 minutes.
9) Preheat oven to 375° and bake pie until crust is deep golden brown and juices are thick and bubbling, 1½–2 hours (yes: 2 hours!)
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (306g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 40 (16%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.5g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.6g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 10.4mg||3 %|
|Sodium 14.3mg||0 %|
|Potassium 331.2mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 57.1g||17 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24 %|
|Sugars, other 51.1g|
|Protein 0.9g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 257
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.