1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the butter, salt and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
3. Remove from heat add the flour and stir with a spoon to combine. Mixture will thicken and start to resemble the texture of mashed potatoes.
4. Leave dough in the saucepan, but beat it on low with a hand mixer, adding one egg at a time, mixing well before adding another. After adding each egg, the mixture will become wet and glossy, but after mixing on high for a few seconds it will thicken again. (Alternately you can transfer the batter to your stand mixer bowl, I just think using a hand mixer saves a dirty dish.)
5. When all the eggs are are combined add the vanilla. The dough will be thick and starchy, (still with a similar texture to mashed potatoes.)
6. Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Lightly spray a cookie sheet and pipe 8-inch rows of the dough with at least 1 inch between each churro.
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown*, and when a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Spray churros lightly with cooking spray, and one at a time, transfer them to a square tupperware, or shallow baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. (Shake it around to make sure they are well-coated.) Makes about 10 churros.
*It's really important that you bake these until they are golden brown. If are 20 minutes yours are not, leave them until they are! My oven runs hot so yours may need a little longer!
Also- I have gotten a few comments mentioning a problem with the consistency of the batter. I made these several times since just to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. I have to say they consistently turn out for me.
I want to help though so I have edited the recipe with a few extra notes and descriptions! These really are one of the easiest and most delicious treats I made so I hope you all have success with them!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (72g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 96 (50%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.7g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.3g||31 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 80.3mg||25 %|
|Sodium 21mg||1 %|
|Potassium 34.6mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 20.9g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 20.5g|
|Protein 3g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 191
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!