1. How to make the dough:
2. Using a processor fitted with a metal blade, blend flour, salt, and baking powder.
3. Add cream cheese and process until coarse.
4. Add butter cubes and pulse until dough forms peanut-size balls.
5. Add cream and vinegar and pulse until butter is the size of small peas.
6. Scrape dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using latex gloves or place the dough into a plastic bag, and shape the dough into a flat disc. Never roll dough into a ball because it?ll create cracked edges when you roll it out.
7. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling.
8. How to shape the dough:
9. Place the chilled dough disc between two sheets of floured plastic wrap.
10. Starting at the center, roll outwards in all directions without pressing too hard on the edges. Then, rotate the dough to ensure an even crust. If your pie starts developing holes, tear a piece off the edge, and roll it into the hole. Lift edges to check whether crust is sticking and flour if necessary. If dough becomes too soft, pop it into the freezer for a few minutes.
11. Using a cake pan or cardboard template, cut a 13-inch circle for a 9-inch pie pan. Drape the dough over your rolling pin and move it into a buttered and floured pie pan.
12. With cold fingers (rinse under cold water and dry), crimp the edges by making a fist and pinching the dough between your thumb and the side of your pointer finger. To prevent burning, avoid letting the edges hang over the pan?s rim. Note: Beranbaum makes a pie plate that eliminates this step because of the plates shape.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (14g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 39 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.3g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||12 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 14.2mg||4 %|
|Sodium 197.4mg||7 %|
|Potassium 16.6mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.8g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.8g|
|Protein 0.7g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 44
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.