1. Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold water in large container. Submerge chicken in brine, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Tuck wingtips behind back. Rub chicken evenly, inside and out, with spice rub, lifting up skin over breast and rubbing spice rub directly onto meat.
2. Soak wood chips in water for 15 minutes, then drain. Using large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, wrap 1 cup soaked chips in 8 by 4.5 inch foil packet. Make sure chips do not poke holes in sides or bottom of packet. Repeat with remaining 1 cup chips. Cut 2 evenly spaced 2-inch slits in top of each packet.
3. Charcoal grill: Open bottom vent halfway and place disposable pan in center of grill. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal, 6 quarts. When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour into 2 even piles on either side of the disposable pan. Place 1 wood chip packet on each pile of coals. Set cooking grate in place, cover and open lid vent halfway. Heat grill until hot and wood chips are smoking, about 5 minutes.
4. Clean and oil cooking grate. Place chicken on center of grill, over disposable pan, breast side down, cover (position lid vent over meat), and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Working quickly, remove lid, and using 2 large wads of paper towels, turn chicken breast side up. Cover and continue to cook until breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, 25 to 35 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to carving board, tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (0g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (0%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 5mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.3g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.2g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!