1. Mix whole wheat flour, honey, shortening, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add warm water. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraing bowl frequently. Stir in enough all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle.
2 Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead abou 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Place dough in large bowl greased with shortening, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 40 to 60 min or until doubled. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
3. Grease bottoms and sides of 2 loaf pans with shortening.
4. Gently push fist into dough to deflate. Divide dough in half. Flatten each half with hand or rolling pin into 18x9 in rectangle on lightly floured surface. Roll dough up tightly, beginning at 9 in side. press with thumbs to seal after each turn. Pinch edge of dough into foll to seal. Press each ed with side f had to seal. Fold ends under loaf. Place seam side down in pan. Brush loaves lightly with butter. Cover loosley with plastic wrap and let rise in wasrm place 35 to 50 min or until double.
5. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pan will be in center of oven. Heat to 375.
6. Bake 40 to 45 min or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire rack. Brush loaves with butter and cool.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 loave (660g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2|
|Calories from Fat: 623 (29%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 69.3g||92 %|
|Saturated Fat 37g||185 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 20.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6g|
|Cholesterol 131mg||40 %|
|Sodium 34.1mg||1 %|
|Potassium 1322.6mg||35 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 335.5g||99 %|
|Dietary Fiber 32.7g||131 %|
|Sugars, other 302.8g|
|Protein 53.5g||76 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2128
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.