1. Trim any excess fat from the lamb. Cut the chops into 1 1/2 inch chunks with bone.
2. Peel the squash and scrape out the seeds and membrane. Using the shredding disk on a food processor or the large holes on a box grater, shred the squash. Sprinkle liberally with sugar and drain in a colander for about 1 hour. At the same time, soak the saffron in 1/3 cup warm water.
3. Place the lamb, grated onion, saffron and its water, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp of ras el hanout, and the ghee in the tagine. Stir to mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Stir in the sliced onions and continue to cook, covered for 1 hour longer. Pick out the pieces of lamb and let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut out and discard the bones. Skim the fat off the cooking liquid in the tagine. Season the meat with salt and pepper and return to the tagine.
5. Rinse the grated squash under cold running water and squeeze in your hands over a bowl to catch the juices. Measure out and reserve 2 tablespoons of the juice; discard the remainder. Place the grated squash in a 10 inch nonstick skillet. Add the cinnamon, ginger, honey, remaining ras el hanout, 2 tablespoons butter, and the reserved squash liquid. Slowly fry until the squash is thickened to a jamlike consistency and colored a golden caramel, about 15 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Ladle half the sauce from the tagine over the squash and stir to combine. Spread the squash evenly over the lamb. Dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and place the tagine in the top third of the oven. Raise the heat to 425 degrees and bake uncovered until the squash is lightly glazed, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, be sure to set the tagine down on a wooden surface. Serve hot or warm, with toasted pine nuts scattered on top.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (563g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 96 (39%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.7g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.7g||28 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 22.9mg||7 %|
|Sodium 14.1mg||0 %|
|Potassium 953.2mg||25 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 39.3g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.2g||25 %|
|Sugars, other 33.1g|
|Protein 3.7g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 247
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.