Some extra items to have on standby:
Extra Flour for kneading
Cream or Half and Half for brushing on top of scones
Extra sugar for sprinkling on top of scones (course is ideal)
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour in melted butter and mix together until it resembles course meal. Don't over mix - it's okay to be chunky. Stir in sugar.
Mix egg yolk into the buttermilk. Pour into flour mixture. Stir together. Put some extra flour down on breadboard and knead together with hands, adding a little flour as you need it. You want this dough to be a little tacky, but not sticky.
Divide dough and pat it into two rounds. Cut into wedges. Split and fill with your choice of fruit filling. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with course sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes (less if small scones).
Variations and Add-Ins:
1. Split scones and fill with raspberry, strawberry, lemon, cherry, apple, or other fruit filling. Don't overfill!
2. Stir chopped walnuts into scone batter. Split and fill with cherry filling.
3. Split and fill with apple pie filling. After baking, dip tops into melted butter and cinnamon and sugar mixture.
4. Stir in 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 1/4 cup raisins, and 1/4 cup chopped nuts. Frost with a powdered sugar, butter, and orange juice icing or drizzle with a cream cheese icing.
5. Stir in 1 cup white chocolate chips. After baking, glaze with a thinned powdered sugar icing made with a little almond extract. Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds.
6. Add some grated orange peel to scone mixture. Fill with blueberry filling.
7. Add chopped nuts and cranberries. Drizzle with icing.
8. Chop up a fresh, tart apple (granny smith) and sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon and knead into the scone batter.
9. Be creative with herbs and grated cheese. These go very well with soups and stews. Add a cheese topping the last couple of minutes before you remove scones from the oven.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1022g)|
|Recipe Makes: Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2546 (67%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 282.9g||377 %|
|Saturated Fat 177.9g||890 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 74.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 11.2g|
|Cholesterol 953.6mg||293 %|
|Sodium 9304.6mg||321 %|
|Potassium 632mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 317.4g||93 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 317.4g|
|Protein 17.1g||24 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3788
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!