Adapted the titular recipe here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/feb/04/how-to-make-the-perfect-beef-pho
- The recipe yields 4 generous portions so halve it for 2 portions (that applies for the stock. As for the garnish, be generous!)
- Used bouillon cubes but use 1 cube per final litre i.e. start with 2 for a FULL recipe as the meatballs are seasons and fish sauce will be added
- Broiled ginger and onion in the oven. It took about 20-30 minutes in total. Skin won't come out easily from ginger, but it did not hurt leaving some of the skin in the stock. Tontgs help with peeling the hot onion!
- Stock will take 2 hours or so for half a recipe
- Rice noodles cooked in boiling water form the kettle for 8 minutes or so. Stir occasionally to avoid lumping then strain and rinse with cold water to avoid overcooking
- Used Bittman's Quicker Pho in BRTW only as far as using meatballs (instead of the meat called for in the Guardian's recipe) and browning them (in the same Dutch oven used later to make the broth) while broiling the ginger and onion in the oven. Added the meatballs at the end directly in the serving bowl rtogether with the cooked rcold rice noodles before ladling the broth and adding the garnish
-Half a fresh Thai chili for garnish at the end is more than enough for half a recipe
The best version I have ever had!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (0g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (NaN%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0mg||0 %|
|Potassium 0mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!