1. Weigh dry quinoa into a fine seive and rinse under running water (or soak overnight then rinse):
- 350g quinoa, weighed when dry
2. Weigh water into Thermomix bowl, place quinoa in steamer basket and insert in bowl. Place eggs on top of quinoa in steamer basket.
- 800g water
- 4 eggs, preferably organic free range, well rinsed
3. Place the lid on the bowl, with Varoma on top, and chicken and pumpkin in Varoma dish. Make sure the chicken is spread apart enough that steam can get through. Cook for 20 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 4. (Check chicken and pumpkin in last five minutes of cooking time and break apart with the spatula so it cooks through evenly.)
- 3 chicken thighs, cubed
- 250g pumpkin, sliced thinly (about 5 mm)
4. When the quinoa, chicken & veges are cooked, remove eggs from quinoa (scraping off quinoa from shells) and peel and quarter eggs.
5. Prepare salad ingredients in a very large salad bowl. I like to use:
- a bag of mixed salad greens or baby spinach
- sun-dried tomato strips
- kalamata olives
- thinly sliced shallots or red onion
- boiled eggs, quartered
- cubed sheep or goat milk feta (optional)
6. Add quinoa, chicken and pumpkin to salad ingredients. You can wait until they're cool if you like, or use straight away for a warm salad.
7. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and a good quality cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, or whatever dressing you prefer.
8. Sprinkle with toasted seeds and serve. I like a mixture of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet until they're starting to pop, then drizzled with tamari and toasted a little longer. They give a lovely 'crunch' to salads.
If you have Australian quinoa, follow these guidelines before cooking:
- Rinse the seeds in a fine strainer for 1 to 2 minutes under running water, the evening before using it, then soak in a bowl of water overnight.
- In the morning (or before cooking), rinse again under running water for another minute.
If you follow these steps, you shouldn't have a problem with bitterness.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (446g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 169 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.8g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.6g||23 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.6g|
|Cholesterol 165.2mg||51 %|
|Sodium 15529.6mg||536 %|
|Potassium 1448mg||38 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 67.8g||20 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.4g||26 %|
|Sugars, other 61.3g|
|Protein 38.4g||55 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 596
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!