Time is the main ingredient in making this tasty French Onion Soup. In order for the flavours to fully develop a slow cooker is the perfect cooking tool to bring out that caramelized onion taste in a sumptuous beef broth. Then topped with bread and cheese and served hot it makes for a perfect lunch on those cold winter days.
- Set slow cooker to low on a 10 hour cycle and add butter. While butter is slowly melting, cut onions into 1/8 inch slices then cut those slices into four. Once butter is melted add onions, corriander and 1/3 teaspoon cumin. Let simmer slowly for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Once onions are nicely caramelized add all other ingredients (except cheese and bread) and continue the cooking cycle for another 8 hours.
- Cut French bread into 1/2 inch slices and grill in toaster until medium brown.
- Pour soup into oven-safe serving bowls, add a slice of bread and top with mixed cheeses.
- Place under oven broiler 6 inches from heat for approximately 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown (careful not to burn it).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (368g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 157 (39%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 17.4g||23 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.1g||46 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 42.1mg||13 %|
|Sodium 1478mg||51 %|
|Potassium 541mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 43.5g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 41.1g|
|Protein 14.5g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 403
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!