1. COOK ONIONS Arrange beef bones on paper towel-lined plate. Microwave until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, set slow cooker to high. Add butter, cover, and cook until melted. Add onions, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon peper, brown sugar, and thyme. Stir flour, apple butter, sherry, and soy sauce together in small bowl until smooth. Pour over onions and toss to coat. Tuck bones under onions around edge of slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat until onions are softened and deep golden brown, 10 to 12 hours. (Cooked onions can be refrigerated in airtight container for 1 day.)
2. FINISH SOUP Remove bones from slow cooker. Heat chicken and beef broth in microwave until beginning to boil. Stir into slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
3. MAKE CROUTONS Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (about 6 inches from broiler element) and heat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange bread slices in single layer on baking sheet and bake until bread is golden at edges, about 10 minutes. Heat broiler. Divide cheese evenly among croutons and broil until melted and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. SERVE SOUP Ladle soup into bowls and top each with 2 croutons. Serve.
1. Using a chef's knife, trim off both ends of the onion.
2. Turn onion onto cut end to steady it and slice in half, pole to pole.
3. Peel each half, place flat side down, and cut onion into slices.
Cook the onions in the crock pot on low heat.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (575g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 233 (35%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 25.9g||34 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.4g||72 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 88.7mg||27 %|
|Sodium 8114.1mg||280 %|
|Potassium 524.2mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 58.9g||17 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||16 %|
|Sugars, other 55g|
|Protein 42g||60 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 662
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!