1. Remove the casing from the sausages. Break them into a skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking the sausage into small pieces with a kitchen fork, until they begin to brown.
2. Add the crushed red pepper, oregano, and salt. Add 1/2 cup of water, turn the sausage and continue to break up the pieces until all the pink is gone. Add more water if necessary to keep the pan from drying out.
3. Add the bread crumbs and mix in well. Again, add a little more water to keep the mixture from being very dry. (It should not be very wet, either.) Remove from the heat.
4. While the sausage is cooking, remove the stems from the mushrooms. Slice off a sliver the size of a penny from the top of the mushroom cap to make a flat area.
5. While the sausage mixture is still warm, use a teaspoon to stuff the bottom of each mushroom. Pile as much stuffing on as will stay in place, with some perhaps crumbling off. Place the mushrooms stuffing side up on a baking pan. Top with a generous pinch (again, as much as you can get to stay put) on top of the stuffing.
6. Broil until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Remove and serve very hot.
Makes about 24 stuffed mushrooms.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 (25g)|
|Recipe Makes: 24|
|Calories from Fat: 3 (12%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.3g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0.1mg||0 %|
|Sodium 133.7mg||5 %|
|Potassium 14.4mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.3g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 4g|
|Protein 0.9g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 24
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.