From NY Times - "You can finish this hearty summer soup with slivered fresh basil, or with pistou, the Provençal version of pesto (it’s pesto without the pine nuts). A Parmesan rind, simmered in the soup and then removed, adds great depth of flavor without adding fat. On a hot summer day in Italy the soup might be served at room temperature, or just barely warm."
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven and add the onion, carrots, and celery.
2. Cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes, and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Continue to cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 more minutes.
3. Add the garlic, stir together for about a minute, and stir in the tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have cooked down and smell fragrant, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in 2 quarts water, the turnip, zucchini, and the bouquet garni, and bring to a simmer. Add 2 teaspoons salt, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
5. Stir in the canned beans. Taste and adjust salt. Remove the bouquet garni.
6. While the soup is simmering, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the green beans. Boil 5 minutes, until just tender but still bright green.
7. Transfer to a bowl of ice water, allow to cool, and drain. Retain the cooking water in case you want to thin out the soup later.
8. Add the pasta to the soup and simmer another 10 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked al dente. Stir the cooked green beans into the soup.
9. Grind in some pepper and taste and adjust seasonings. It should be savory and rich-tasting.
10. Stir in the basil or pistou, or place a spoonful of pistou in each bowl and stir in.
11. Serve in wide soup bowls, with a sprinkling of Parmesan over the top.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (85g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 5 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.6g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 8.4mg||0 %|
|Potassium 198.3mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.4g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 2.9g|
|Protein 1g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 24
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!