This is a great recipe to use up your left over chicken or turkey. Since this is such a different flavor profile I love to use any left over turkey after Thanksgiving dinner for this recipe. While this is a really quick and easy version of this soup, I’ve made a more time consuming version as well where I roast my own tomatoes, and substitute roasted fresh corn and peppers for the Mexicorn. But this version is a great quick weeknight meal.
1. Saute the onion, carrot and garlic in a dutch oven with the butter and olive oil until they are soft and the onions are translucent.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the corn tortillas, to the dutch oven and bring to a boil. Once it has reached boiling, turn down the heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
3. While the soup is simmering, cut the corn tortillas into 1/4 inch strips and coat lightly with olive oil and salt.
4. Heat the oven to 375 degrees and arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown.
5. Before serving the soup be sure to taste it and add salt and pepper as needed.
6. Top the bowls of soup with some of the tortilla strips and serve.
In addition to the tortilla strips, the soup can be garnished with fresh avocados, chopped onions, sour cream or cheese.
*To make this recipe even simpler use store bought tortilla chips and skip steps 3 and 4.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (788g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 333 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37g||49 %|
|Saturated Fat 20.7g||104 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.8g|
|Cholesterol 81mg||25 %|
|Sodium 2640.4mg||91 %|
|Potassium 474.8mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.2g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 2.9g|
|Protein 8.6g||12 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 375
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!