1. Texturize and crumb the tofu - see tips.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a gas grill to medium-high or build a fire in a kettle grill.
3. With a small paring knife, cut off the tops of the green peppers and scoop out all seeds and inner membrane. Place whole peppers on the grill for about 5 minutes total, turning them every 2 minutes until are lightly charred but not overly softened. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large skillet on the stove or on the (gas) grill, saute the onion, garlic and tofu in olive oil, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 3 Roma tomatoes, diced, marjoram, salt, and oregano. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, stewed tomatoes, and the rice. Stir to mix; remove from heat.
5. Fill each pepper with this mixture, pushing down gently with a spoon to make more space for the stuffing. Quarter the remaining Roma tomato and wedge one quarter into the top of each pepper. Place the peppers in a 2-quart baking dish and pour the remaining tomato mixture around the peppers. Add the water and black pepper; cover with aluminum foil.
6. Place on the grill and cook over indirect heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers feel fork-tender but not mushy. Spoon the extra sauce over the peppers and garnish to serve.
EACH: 232 cals, 8g fat; 197 cals, 4g fat with reduced fat tofu.
(est by MasterCook) Vegetarian Barbeque : & Other Pleasures of the Harvest by Patti A. Bess (Hardcover May 1998, Lowell House; ISBN: 1565658817)
TIPS - The texture of the tofu will be more crumbly and meatlike if you extract most of the water by cold or by heat.
1) Freeze the block of tofu, thaw completely and drain well: for at least 30 minutes. Mash with fork or potato masher.
2) Drain tofu, and mash with a potato masher. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes. Place in a fine mesh strainer.
This idea come from a book by Marie Oser called Soy of Cooking. Eat-LF mail from EllenC. 4/99 >firstname.lastname@example.org 4/19/99
NOTES : Makes 4 entrees. Halve each to serve 8 as a side dish. Recipe by: Patti Bess 1998 Vegetarian Barbecue Posted to EAT-LF Digest by PatHanneman
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (674g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 12 (6%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.3g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 3755.7mg||130 %|
|Potassium 1251.5mg||33 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 38.3g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.7g||31 %|
|Sugars, other 30.6g|
|Protein 13g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 198
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.