1. In a medium pot on high heat, place the onion, shallots, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cloves, and star anise and dry roast until fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
2. Then add the oil and continue to sauté for another 60 seconds before adding the water and crushing in the vegetable bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 25 min to allow the flavours to meld.
3. To prepare the tofu, heat the oil in a large pan on high heat, and sprinkle salt to evenly cover the base of the pan.
4. Add the sliced tofu to the pan, decrease the heat to medium-high and do not disturb until golden, about 5 - 8 minutes. Then flip and allow the other side to cook; again, do not disturb until golden, about 5 minutes. Disturbing the tofu too much while they cook can cause them to crumble. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Add a strainer to the top of a large pot on medium-high heat and drain the broth from step #2, straining out the onions, garlic, ginger and spices. To this broth, add the soy sauce, vinegar, carrot, broccoli and mushrooms, and partly cover, allowing to simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. While the veggies cook, add the rice noodles to a pot or large bowl on high heat and cover with boiling water. Allow the noodles to sit in the hot water until al dente, about 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
7. To prepare the noodle bowl, simply divide the noodles between the bowls, ladle veggies and broth on top, add the cooked tofu and load the bowl with desired garnishes. Serve immediately and enjoy while hot!
Variation: use edamame as a plant-based protein to save time compared to frying the tofu. If adding edamame, add at the same time as the carrots.
This soup is best enjoyed immediately.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 day and reheated before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1215g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 193 (48%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.5g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.2g|
|Cholesterol 0.3mg||0 %|
|Sodium 240.3mg||8 %|
|Potassium 1197.8mg||32 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.3g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28 %|
|Sugars, other 29.3g|
|Protein 22.7g||32 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 402
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!