Ready in 45 minutes
Pinch of dried mustard - optional
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
3. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown - about 2 minutes.
4. Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more..
6. Stir in cup grated Cheddar cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking, along with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
7. Remove from the heat
8. Butter a 1 -quart casserole.
9. Put the cooked macaroni into the casserole, pour the cheese sauce over it, and mix gently with a fork.
10. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top and spread the crumbs over the cheese.
11. Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Lynn1775 2y agoDoubled recipe using whole box (16 oz) of macaroni. Delicious classic mac & cheese with the right amounts of butter, flour, milk and cheese. Sharp cheddar worked great. Definitely a keeper.
susieq_64 2y agoI just made this for supper and it was really good. I'll be adding this to my favorite list for sure. It went great with the meatballs we had as well.
tonirobbins2 4y agoI accidentally added all the cheese to the sauce mix (turned out perfectly creamy just like I wanted) and opted not to add the bread crumbs but it was the best mac and cheese I've ever had!! Yummy!!!
Stormy222 4y agoI've used this recipe for years and it is soooo good!!! I've never used cayenne in it tho.. might try that! I always use cracker barrel sharp cheddar cheese and it is worth the price because it makes it soooo good! I also add some garlic powder and Dijon mustard to the cheeses sauce (something I got from another recipe.) you can't go wrong with this recipe! It is sooo yummy!
McKoneck 5y agoVery yummy! I also added more cheese than called for & a little more butter!
crisnet 5y agoThe recipe needs at least double the cheese. Bread crumbs are a nice touch
Clondon84 6y agoA delicious dish.
krulewich 9y agogood, easy to follow recipe.
janey-canuck 10y ago
promfh 10y agoThis is real "down home" cooking. Not fancy, just great food.