Fluffy cornbread goes great with, well, ANYTHING! So we couldn't help ourselves but to add it to this filling, delicious chili bake, perfect for fall nights or anytime you just need something comforting and warm in your tummy.
Source: Big Oven Original
1. Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet or braiser set over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until no pink remains.
2. Add onion and carrots to the beef and cook until vegetables begin to soften about 4 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
4. Sprinkle flour, salt, black pepper, and chili powder over the mixture and stir to combine.
5. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth. Cook 5 minutes longer, then remove from heat and stir in peas and corn.
6. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
7. Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions or make a cornbread batter from scratch following the recipe in the notes below.
8. Dollop the cornbread batter into drop biscuits over the beef mixture. You should end up with 12-drop biscuits. Do not spread the batter.
9. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the beef mixture is hot and bubbling and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread comes out clean. During the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle the cheese on top of the cornbread. Let the casserole cool for 10 minutes, then serve.
To make your own cornbread batter: Whisk together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Mix in 1 cup milk, 1 egg, and ⅓ cup avocado oil or melted unsalted butter. Dollop cornbread batter on top of the meat mixture and bake according to the above direction.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (158g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 105 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11.6g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.5g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 51.4mg||16 %|
|Sodium 126.2mg||4 %|
|Potassium 407.2mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 8.4g|
|Protein 15.4g||22 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 206
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.