Note: the baking wafers are sold in specialty food stores. If you are not going to use them, you don't need the egg white.
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a saucepan over medium heat, Slowly heat the honey, sugar, salt, oil and water until sugar is dissolved. Put in a mixing bowl and allow to cool.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together.
3. Stir egg yolk, cocoa and spices into the honey mixture. Slowly mix in the sifted flour mixture, and when it is smooth, add the rest of the cookie ingredients.
4. Roll out to to about 1/4 inch thick and use a cookie cutter or glass to cut out 2 inch rounds. If you are using the baking wafers, brush a wafer with egg white and stick to the bottom of each cookie.
5. Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool. For the icing, mix water gradually into powdered sugar until it is the consitency of heavy cream. Brush icing on each cookie. Allow to dry.
Store in a cookie tin.
Keep these in a tin after baking - they age well and will soften with time (which is desirable).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (68g)|
|Recipe Makes: 50|
|Calories from Fat: 20 (8%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2.3g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.2g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 4.2mg||1 %|
|Sodium 27.7mg||1 %|
|Potassium 66.2mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 61.5g||18 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 60.3g|
|Protein 1.5g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 263
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.