A dark, deeply moist, gingered beauty created by Karen DeMasco, the pastry chef at Locanda Verde in New York.
Served at Thanksgiving, 2009. It was VERY popular. A sophisticated taste and delicious.
Ginger is a wonderful digestive and especially welcome at the end of a great dinner pie or no pie.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (convection: 300?). Grease an 8-inch springform cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper. (My springform pan is 10". I used this recipe adapted to 10 servings, using only 1 egg. It was great.)
2. In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside. In a large bowl combine brown sugar, turbinado, ginger, zest of 1 lemon and oil. Beat in egg.
3. Place beer, molasses and coffee in a deep pot, at least 3 quarts. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Mixture will bubble up. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
4. Whisk flour mixture alternately with beer mixture into brown sugar mixture, in 3 shifts. Pour batter in pan and bake 40 minutes without opening oven. Give pan a 180-degree turn and bake another 15 minutes, until cake is springy and a tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack. When cool, remove sides of pan, invert briefly to remove bottom of pan and paper and set upright on a plate.
5. Place confectioners sugar in a bowl, whisk in remaining zest and salt, then lemon juice. Spread over top of cake, allowing glaze to drip down the sides.
Pay close attention to the cooking time - turn and the cook for another 15 minutes. Toothpick test too early will deflate the center of the cake.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (254g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 146 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 16.2g||22 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.8g|
|Cholesterol 30.3mg||9 %|
|Sodium 8702.5mg||300 %|
|Potassium 638.5mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 139.9g||41 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 137.3g|
|Protein 4.5g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 694
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!