1. Have ready a suitable roasting or ovenproof dish, measuring 38cm x 26cm or equivalent.If you wish, you can line the dish with baking paper.
2. For the lamb heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 5-6 minutes until glossy and soft and just beginning to colour, stirring frequently.
3. Add the mince, turn up the heat and fry, stirring occasionally, until it changes colour, then add the red wine, bring to the boil and reduce by half.
4. Add the remaining lamb ingredients, season with salt and bring to the boil, then turn heat down low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5.Tip the pan and scim off any excess fat (it is a good idea to leave this to harden before throwing it away). There should be just a few tablespoons of juices remaining in the lamb mixture. Taste for seasoning.
6. At the same time, preheat the oven to 180?C (fan). Cut the aubergines into 1cm slices, discarding the ends. Brush with olive oil on both sides, arrange on baking trays and season on top.. Roast for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Loosen with a spatula.
You can prepare to this point in advance.
7. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Spread the slices over the base of your ovenproof dish. Spoon in the lamb mixture on top, pressing it down. Arrange the aubergine slices on top of the lamb.
8. For the cheese sauce, whisk the creme fraiche with the eggs in a bowl, then stir in half the halloumi. Pour the sauce evenly over the top of the moussaka so it coats the aubergine slices, and scatter over the remaining cheese.
9 Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and crisp.
35 - 40 minutes for final bake in oven may not be enough as not very hot and potato a bit raw. Would suggest cooking for longer.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (582g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1074 (81%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 119.3g||159 %|
|Saturated Fat 53.7g||269 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 49.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.3g|
|Cholesterol 218.3mg||67 %|
|Sodium 115.8mg||4 %|
|Potassium 1176mg||31 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 34.2g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.4g||38 %|
|Sugars, other 24.9g|
|Protein 17.5g||25 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1329
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!